Thursday, December 13, 2007

Who Knew Doing Nothing Could Be So Difficult?

Today's Update
  • Water Consumed: 2L (I had to go to the bathroom pretty often... luckily I work in an office)
  • Minutes Dedicated to Meditation: 5mins
  • One Happy Thing From Today: I actually had time to go have a nice sit down lunch with my co-workers.
  • I also spent 20 mins on Tuesday night writing and recording any thoughts that came to mind during the day and used this as my dedicated quiet time for the day. (I decided to start a journal a couple months ago just so I could look back and get some idea of exactly where I'm spending all my time.)

Let me say this...it was damn hard to sit myself down and to try to just sit...in silence...doing nothing. No email, no TV, no sports talk radio... nada. I thought I was going to pass out from the lack of sensory stimulation. Yet, I managed to settle down and after a minute or two, take some deep breaths and then I actually found myself enjoying the peace and quiet. Even after just 5 minutes of this, I noticed my mood and stress level decrease. It felt gooooooood after being bombarded by information all day long at work and sitting through the 60 mile daily commute.

These three activities haven't had any huge life-changing effect on my life as far as I can tell, but I suppose that isn't the point. I'm starting to notice that there is a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction from actually setting a goal and accomplishing it in addition to the benefits of these activities themselves. Sweet!

No comments: